Rustic Apple Plum Galette
Beautiful doesn’t have to be perfect. Case in point, a galette. This is simply a fancy word for a free-form tart or pie and it is one of the easiest things to make. Roll out some crust, scatter some yummy fillings in the middle, fold up the sides, bake and enjoy. Plums are such a gorgeous addition to this tart, adding deep red color and tartness to subtle sweet apples. You can use any fruit you want to fill this rustic beauty, just use the same base. You can also use any crust you’d like. I’ve included Sarah Maroney of Cakes by Pip’s tart crust.
Some other combinations to consider (seasonally appropriate):
- Peach & Blackberry
- Stone fruits (peach, nectarine, plum & cherry)
- Pear & Raspberry
Note: this galette can be frozen either before, or after baking. Simply place the parchment lined pan in the oven and freeze solid, wrap the parchment around it, and then place in a bag or wrap in foil. Place in the oven frozen and cook an additional 10–15 minutes, or if already baked, warm in the oven for 10–15 minutes.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ cup cold, unstated butter
- ⅓ cup cold water
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 3 Tbsp. almond flour
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted cold butter
- 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 apples, cored and cut into ½ inch slices
- 6-8 small plums, cut into ½ pits removed
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Using the large holes on a grater, shred the butter into the flour mixture and mix with your hands or a pastry cutter, until pea-sized crumbs form. Alternatively this can be pulsed in a food processor.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together water and egg yolk. Sprinkle 1 Tbs. of the egg mixture over the flour mixture, and mix with finger tips. Repeat until all of the flour mixture is moistened.
If making in the food processor, this can be drizzled through the top until the mixture just comes together.
- Gently knead the mixture until the dough comes together in a ball. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes, but up to a day.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Roll out chilled dough into a 16 inch rough circle and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. In a small bowl, mix together the ¼ cup of sugar, almond flour and all purpose flour and a pinch of salt. Spread inside the prepared crust, leaving at least a 2 inch border.
- Arrange apples and halved plums however you’d like. I often arrange the apple slices in a fan and then place the plums on top. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top. Cut butter into small pieces and arrange evenly over the top. Fold the edges of the crust up.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let sit cool. Serve room temperature as is, or with vanilla ice cream.